The AICE Wellbeing and Lifestyle Management (WLM) Group acts to promote the integration of best-practice chiropractic care with the evidence-based management of lifestyle-related determinants of health, with the view to advancement of further education and research.
The evolution of this group reflects a growing interest and need for a broader focus and robust evidence-base for the effective chiropractic management of the multiple complex factors impacting the health of those within our care. Lifestyle management is a rapidly advancing global field of healthcare entirely consistent with chiropractic principles and provides an interdisciplinary, patient-centric and holistic approach toward the prevention, management and reversal of lifestyle-related chronic diseases through the modification of behavioural, social and environmental drivers.
- The chiropractic approach to promote individual health, prevention of disease and provision of rehabilitation is best achieved by integrating best-practice chiropractic care with evidence-based management of other key determinants of health inclusive of diet, physical activity, sleep habits, stress management, avoidance of risky behaviours, and other environmental, behavioural and societal factors
- The interdisciplinary approach to patient management incorporating Lifestyle Management fundamentals is to improve and maintain both individual and community health and wellbeing outcomes
- Disease prevention, management and health promotion are key factors for healthy communities, and may be better achieved through quality chiropractic care in conjunction and collaboration with the principles of Lifestyle Management
- A well-defined pathway for ongoing education in chiropractic and Lifestyle Management is pivotal to further progressing our knowledge, research evidence-base and the chiropractic profession.
Members of the Wellbeing and Lifestyle Management CPG work in collaboration with chiropractic colleagues, chiropractic students, allied health professionals, medical practitioners, educators, researchers and key stakeholders aligned with the principles of lifestyle management to:
- Promote the integration of evidence-based and ethical chiropractic health care with evidence-based wellbeing and lifestyle-related healthcare management;
- Maintain the role of the chiropractor as a primary care practitioner whilst working within an interdisciplinary environment incorporating lifestyle management;
- Act as a peak peer review body for chiropractors providing chiropractic, wellbeing and lifestyle management advice and guidance;
- Develop and maintain an extensive accessible database of current research literature and other relevant information for the membership;
- Act as an advisory body to the ACA Board in the formation and development of policies relating to chiropractic and lifestyle management.
WLM Entry Requirements
WLM Competency Framework
WLM Committee Members
Scope of Practice
Wellbeing and Lifestyle Management (WLM) is a recognised special interest subset of chiropractic that provides evidence-based knowledge, education and management of the lifestyle choices associated with the patient’s neuromusculoskeletal clinical presentation and the increasing prevalence of chronic disease in Australia.
The WLM chiropractor facilitates the establishment of an individualised plan for patient behaviour change and the management of the lifestyle determinants of health. Strategies may include changes to diet, physical activity prescription, stress management, sleep quality management, tobacco cessation, avoidance of risky behaviours, and the promotion of positive psychology and social connectedness.
The strategies are developed using an interdisciplinary team approach, including other health providers, families and social support groups in a collaborative team environment. The ethical, evidence-informed framework ensures standards of patient management and safety.
Membership runs from financial year 1 July to 30 June. For more information on fees and application process for titling, please click here.
Click and complete the relevant application to be a part of the AICE Wellbeing & Lifestyle Management CPG.